Inspired by Mike, I decided to try my hand at route development also. I picked out what I thought would be a good route while waiting for Mike to finish his route. Since this was my first time drilling bolts (BTW - we bought a power drill!), Mike drilled the anchors for me.
Then I rappelled the route to pick out the bolt placements, and clean some of the loose rock off. I was ready to start drilling, but I wanted Mike to check out the bolt placement first, to make sure they were in a good location for clipping, and also to make sure the rock was solid. So he rappelled, and adjusted some of my placements, then gave me the go-ahead to start drilling.
I got on rappel and went down to my first location. I used a prusik to back me up at the spot, and I also wrapped the rope around my leg to hold me in place.
The first 3 bolts drilled relatively quickly, for a novice like me. But the last bolt gave me a heck of a time! First, it was in a location where I had difficulty getting leverage on the drill, and the rock was particularly hard there. It took me probably 2 hours to get it drilled properly. I was worried that the hole wouldn't be straight or too wide due to drill wobble, but Mike checked it out and pronounced it OK! So I tapped in the last bolt and headed up on the first ascent.
Apparently the route still needed some cleaning, because the rock broke between the first and the second bolt and I fell on my first bolt! Luckily, it held my fall!
I call the route "To Catch a Mouse". The picture uploading isn't working on blogger at the moment, so I'll have to upload pictures later!